Friday, May 12, 2006

Bonsai


This is one of my favourite bonsai of my entire collection. This bouganvillia started off in my parents backyard about 10 years ago. They wanted to get rid of it, so I dug up the stump with very little root and shoved it in a hessian sack filled with soil. On closer inspection, I realised that half of it was dead, so I proceeded to carve it with little wood carving tools... the first time I'd carved a bonsai. When it began growing again, I potted it in a pot.... it went from being about 8m high to about 60cm. It is a very usual design, apart from the excessive amount of dead wood, all the branches cascade from one that originates at the very top of the stump. After it became a bonsai it flowered very little, which was very depressing. But when I moved last, I placed it in an extremely sunny and hot position and flowering is all it does now.... even in Autumn... it varies in colour too, from magenta to white.

No comments: